Friday, July 6, 2012

Peppermint Patties

Recently, I've been completely obsessed with the iPhone app FoodGawker. My boyfriend scrolls through it on my phone, "favoriting" the recipes of actual food that contain any manly ingredients such as steak, bacon, and hot sauce. Me on the other hand, scroll through the app adding things to bake to my favorites list. This is the first of many posts of experimental FoodGawker recipes. Might I add it was a complete success! ...Especially because it's mint. and chocolate. Sold.

Mixing the ingredients was a little give or take. The recipe calls for a certain amount of ingredients for the filling, but you end up adding more or less, depending on how it ends up mixing. I added a little extra water, and the inside was perfect! You should be able to roll it into one big ball and wrap it in wax paper for freezing. I used about 6-8 drops of peppermint oil I found at my Chef Central to flavor it.
I found it alot easier to roll the dough into balls and flatten them with my hands as opposed to rolling the dough out with a rolling pin and cutting them. Although they did not come out in perfect circles, they still tasted just as good. 
After freezing and dipping, I could NOT WAIT to try one of these babies out. I will never, EVER taste a York Peppermint Pattie the same again. These are so beyond good, especially frozen or cold. The batch amount only made 2 dozen of them for me (sand dollar size). Excuse the dipping job. These are kind of hard to dip without the bleed of chocolate onto the wax paper. Whatever. More chocolate :)
Thank you Cookie-Talk for this amazing recipe! These are definitely a great summer snack when frozen and perfect to melt in a cup of hot chocolate in the winter. Super Delicious!

Peppermint Patties
  • 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 TB light corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 TB water, plus more for spritzing if needed
  • 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
  • 1 TB shortening (preferably organic!)
  • confectioner’s sugar, for kneading and rolling – I used about 2 TB
  • 13 ounces 70%-cacao bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

1. Mix together the powdered sugar, corn syrup, water, peppermint extract, and shortening in a mixer. It will take a while to come together and will still only be crumbly. If it is very dry where you are, spritz lightly with a little extra water. Once you start seeing large pieces come together, it is ready. You should be able to form a ball and hold its shape.
2. Knead dough with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and wrap in wax paper. Freeze for 15 minutes
3. This is when you roll the dough. Like I said, I preferred balling the dough and flattening it. You can also dust your workspace with powdered sugar, roll out like cookie dough, and use a cutter to cut the desired shape. 
4. Place back onto the tray and freeze for 4-6 hours or overnight. I was impatient and only froze them for about an hour, and they worked just as fine I assume. 
5. Dipping! This is pretty explanatory. Melt the chocolate and using a fork, cover the pattie in chocolate. Use a knife to scrape the pattie of the fork. After this, I refroze mine and kept them in a small bowl in the freezer, but if you visit the Cookie-Talk website, it says to let them set at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment